Both of us are in decent health with minimal medical needs. I have high blood pressure for which I take a pill a day, though not for too much longer. More on that below. We don't work at regular jobs and we don't live in the US or the UK which is where we are from. We live in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico.
So, how do we live on so little? It took about a year to
work out a budget. At first we had no idea where to cut corners, or even if we
could. We would run out of money frequently by week three and live on beans and
rice which I hated - until I learned how to cook them. Now I love them.
HOW TO FIND AN APARTMENT IN PLAYA DEL CARMEN
It was not readily apparent.
- Craigslist was a washout. They only list The Yucatan in general and the few places for rent in Playa are mostly very expensive.
- There are "Appartamento Se Renta" signs accompanied by a telephone number all over the place. Unless you're comfortable with the language I wouldn't recommend searching that way.
- I finally found an online classifieds site called VIVANUNCIOS -You'll find a huge selection of furnished rental units in every price range.
- ANDALE -The same sort of thing as Vivanuncios. Both are very good and up to date.
I pay $350 (4,500 MXN) for a large, bright studio with wooden
beamed ceiling in the Ejido district which is within walking distance of
groceries, downtown and the best beach around. That includes a kitchen area
with a full fridge, two burner gas stove, microwave, TV and WiFi, hot water,
electricity, ceiling fans, large closet, bathroom with shower, double bed and
an eight foot long wooden dining table and chairs. On the walls were original
paintings and a gargantuan wood framed mirror. Cable TV with 5 English
speaking channels is $15 (200 MXN) extra. It came with some dishes but not
enough. It's not fancy but it's spacious and it's got character!
WHERE TO SHOP FOR FOOD
There are several North American style supermarkets all with
an abundance of stuff that you are used to and quite a few differences. I live
within walking distance of both Soriana and Chedraui. I only shop at Soriana
for beer, sugar and coffee. Coffee and beer are cheaper there and sugar comes
in smaller 1kg bags which is not as refined as the sugar they sell at Chedraui.
I shop at Chedraui (least expensive of
the two) for the rest of my food. I never spend more than $230 (3,000 MXN) per
month and that includes the cab ride home. I do a big shopping at the beginning
of the month and replenish in the middle of the month for fresh veggies. There
are also Mega and WalMart within walking distance of Centro. I shop at neither.
Having said that, this is how I eat: Breakfast is either yoghurt, cheerios and
fruit or an egg sandwich or oatmeal - and coffee. I don't usually eat lunch but
my partner has a sandwich. Dinner is usually chicken, or fresh fish, fresh vegetable
or a salad and potatoes or rice and beans. We eat a lot of spaghetti and
homemade sauce. Randy cooks a mean spaghetti sauce with chipotles. We have
burgers twice a month and one treat meal a month. Usually it's either calamari,
shrimp, buffalo wings or on occasion a steak. Oh yes, I often make a beef stew
that is delicious. For snacks Randy likes sour dough pretzels and I eat peanut butter
and frozen bananas over yoghurt. Fruit is plentiful and good so I eat fresh
mangoes, pineapple and papaya. I think we eat really well - or at least as well
as I want. I don't buy extravagantly and I don't get the treats that I would at
home.
Some things are hard to find. Who could imagine a world with no lemons?
Well, here there are none! I miss some English things like Marmite and good
tea! I miss a good selection of cheeses. I miss a really decent loaf of bread although the fresh baked rolls are very good. Randy can't find a hotdog he likes. Black pepper of all things, actually a
lot of herbs and spices used in our cooking are scarce. We stock up when we
cross the border to Belize. Oddly enough we don't eat Mexican food. I have
never enjoyed it much and don't know how to cook it well.
COST CUTTING TIPS
·
There is a decent PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION service
in Playa that is a well kept secret to tourists. It's not advertised on the
internet anywhere that I've found. Buses (Not the Colectivo) are everywhere and so are bus stops.
It costs me $.40 (5 MXN) to get downtown (centro) if I feel lazy or have too
much to carry. They run regularly.
· DRUGS! I take Lisinopril for hypertension. Always buy
at Farmacia Similares. These small pharmacies are everywhere . They charge
$6.50 (85 MXN) for a two month supply. Soriana charges triple that. You don't
need a prescription.
·
Red Cross (Cruz Roja) has DOCTORS on staff. A doctor's
visit and prescription for antibiotics cost me $7.75 (100 MXN). The doctor
spoke decent English and it saved me the cost of a trip to a hospital.
·
I like RED WINE (vino tinto). Chedraui has an OK
Mexican wine by the name of "California". It comes in 1L tetra paks for the
brilliant price of $2.80 (36 MXN). I'm no connoisseur, but gut-rot, it ain't!
·
AXION dishwashing soap is by far the best, best,
best. It comes in a yellow tub (like margarine) and lasts for months. $1.78 (27
MXN).
· STREET LUNCHES- Downtown on Benito Juarez there are stands
everywhere. The best ones are crowded with people buying tacos filled with
their choice of meat and fillings. I dare you to resist when you pass by. 3
tacos filled with chicken $1.55 (20) and you can sit on a park bench and people watch.
·
BEACH UMBRELLAS are non-existent in Playa except
at the payable resorts. I challenge you to find a decent one in a store that
won't blow inside out. However, that sun is scorching and even though it's
tempting to stay out and bake, it's highly dangerous. I fashioned my own out of
4 broom handle length sticks and 2 of those colorful Indian cotton scarf wraps you see in
Chedraui or Mega for $12.50 (160 MXN). Dig the sticks in the sand and tie the
scarf wraps on top of the poles. The wind flies them out and they make perfect
beach umbrellas. Very BoHO!
·
I haven't really been SHOPPING FOR DECENT CLOTHES yet, but I know where I'm going when I get some money - to the Mexican
Free Zone. It costs $46.50 (600 MXN) per person return on the ADO bus (20th
Ave. and 12th St.) The Free Zone is between Mexico and Belize. When I went
there recently I passed through and
although merchandize isn't free, it sure is cheap. I'm talking Gucci, Pucci and Fiorucci - dirt cheap! Perfume, shoes - you name it. Looked like wonderland! I
ended up buying 2 cartons of cigarettes for $3 (39 MXN) each. Nasty habit, but you
can't beat that.
WHAT MOST DAYS LOOK LIKE
I do artwork in the morning. I start with the
"gooping" projects that are messy because, well, it's messy and I
like to get it over with. Randy sits on the computer while I tear paper and dip
it in goop and make bowls and earrings. By ten thirty I'm usually off to the
beach. I live a 17 minute walk from one of the most beautiful beaches I've had
the supreme pleasure of living close to. The sea is always aqua and fierce. The
sand is largely litter-free. There is always a breeze and at this time of year
the tourists are back up north.
On the walk home I pass through the Xaman-Ha Mayan ruins and the tree-lined cobbled streets of Playacar. The trees smell divine. In the afternoon I paint bowls which is a lot of fun. I gather inspiration everywhere I go. In the evening I research marketing, write, and basically take care of a fledgling online business. I watch free movies at http://www.watch-movies.net.in/
Haman-Ha Bowl by Paper Prezzies. http://www.paperprezzies.com
On the walk home I pass through the Xaman-Ha Mayan ruins and the tree-lined cobbled streets of Playacar. The trees smell divine. In the afternoon I paint bowls which is a lot of fun. I gather inspiration everywhere I go. In the evening I research marketing, write, and basically take care of a fledgling online business. I watch free movies at http://www.watch-movies.net.in/




3 comments:
Wonderful post! I came across your blog because of a post on the Etsy forums. Very interesting to "meet" someone living in PDC! DH has been visiting PDC for about 25 years-- since 5th Avenue was a dirt road, and there was a single road down to the ferry. My, how things have changed! We have been vacationing in Mexico for years and hope to retire there once our kids have finished college. We most frequently stay in the Xaman Ha Condos, but last year we stayed at Paamul, and this year we're thinking about Akumal. You're 100% right that the most beautiful beaches in the world are from Playa to Tulum! Wishing you the best in your Etsy shop.
Thank you Jennifer for your kind words. Yes, I wish I'd found Playa a long time ago. I live across the street from Xaman-Ha (not the condos) and love it!
This was such a great and informative read Dawn. I LOVE Playa. I stayed right on the 5th for the month that I was there... and a few hostels the last time. Can't wait to come see u
Post a Comment