Summertime in Ontario is glorious. Eight weeks of shorts and
tees (June and September can be iffy), nary a toque in sight, finally. We Canadians
- and I count myself in that group, value summer more than anyone else. It's
condensed, it's hot and you can count on it. Only one year in my memory - 1990
I believe, did summer abandon Toronto. Well, July and August arrived on time
but it rained every single weekend so it doesn't count. There is a lot of
living packed into those eight short weeks. Whoever coined the phrase "the
lazy days of summer" was not talking about T.O. When not at work, every waking
minute is spent outside. There are throngs of people downtown and activities
are going on in every corner of the city. Every restaurant and café has at
least a postage stamp-sized patio and they are packed to the hilt with Torontonians
lapping up as much sun as possible whilst sipping a few brewskies after work.
People smile more.
In the eighties when I was young, carefree and had plenty of
disposable income, I remember summer in terms of events: The Jazz Festival in the Beaches, brass drumbeats of Caribana , weekend camping trips up north, Blue
Jay games at SkyDome, The Symphony Of Fire and the bands at Ontario Place, Sundays
on Toronto Island and at the end of it all, the grand finale, The Canadian
National Exhibition. I was the only nutcase I knew who spent three of those
short eight weeks every year glued to a television set. It started with Wimbledon
in June, then The Canadian Open in July and finally The US Open in August - All
televised in their entirety courtesy of Rogers Cable. What I didn't watch live,
I taped for my later viewing pleasure.
Before the eighties I had no idea about tennis. I knew of
Wimbledon because I grew up in London and I'd heard of Billie Jean King, Jimmy
Connors and John McEnroe - who hadn't? Aside from that I knew nothing. I'd
never played nor watched a tennis match. It wasn't until I was invited to a
brunch party for the opening of Wimbledon in 1981 and everyone present was
abuzz about the new super star Martina Navratilova that I paid any attention. My
obsession with women's tennis began that day when Martina walked onto Centre
Court and ended the day she finished her singles career and walked off for the
last time in 1991. I cried that day. Heck, I even got teary-eyed when Steffi
Graf quit and I didn't even like her. I've forgotten why. Oh yes, she could
beat Martina.
In 1982 I had the sublime pleasure of driving up to York
University to watch the Canadian Open in person for the first time. Actually, I
think it was the Players Open back then. My partner had bought me a top
of the line Pentax camera just for the occasion and three days of tickets with
decent seats. I will never forget the experience. It was such a cool thing to
be able to do. They have a top notch tennis centre at York and the women's and
men's tours alternate between Montreal and Toronto every year. That year I was
able to watch Martina play against Hana Manlikova and Chris Evert against
Andrea Jaeger if memory serves. I was so busy taking photographs that I didn't
see much of what was happening on court. I went to the Canadian Open a total of
five times and watched most of the top players at one time or another, although
I never saw Steffi play in person.
Back in the day Martina's serve and volley game was a joy to
behold. There was no one on the women's tour who played like her. Most players
were baseliners and didn't like coming to net including Chris Evert who was her
only real rival at the time. Jana Novotna was the only other serve and volleyer
I can recall. Martina would serve and then rush up to the net for the return
and pop the final shot into her opponent's court and the point would be over.
Wham, bam, thank you ma'am. It was like watching a well choreographed dance or
maybe a lioness slaughtering a gazelle. You ended up feeling sorry for the
victim but oh well, life goes on. It was beautiful to watch and my only
complaint is that it rarely lasted very long. Forty five minute matches were
not uncommon. You hardly ever got to see a third set especially in the early
rounds. Hardly anyone could beat her in those years except Chris. I was her
biggest fan. Who else on earth would schedule dental surgery around a tennis tournament?
In 1991 I needed a couple of impacted wisdom teeth removed so I scheduled my
surgery for the Monday of the second week of the US Open knowing full well I'd
be off work all week. I spent the entire week on the sofa buzzed out on pain
killers watching tennis. It was pure bliss and no pain at all. I think that was
the year I sent Martina a telegram at Flushing Meadows congratulating her on
her semi-final win against Zina Garrison and wishing her the best of luck in
the final with Ms Graf. How bizarre. I can only think it must have been the
drugs.
I became an armchair tennis pro in the eighties and followed
the players' careers avidly. I always knew their rankings and read everything I
could about the women on the tour in the media - remember this was before the
internet, so there wasn't a whole lot to read. During televised games the
commentators would let tidbits drop about one player or another so you could
pick up some personal information but not a whole lot. I knew for instance that
Martina's girlfriend at the time was author Rita Mae Brown, so of course I read
all her books. What can I say?
Mary Carillo and Bud Collins were the top women's
commentators in those years. Mary used to be on the tour herself and won the
mixed tennis doubles with Mr. McEnroe in 1977 at The French Open. She was incredibly knowledgeable
about the game and the games of the players. She wasn't annoying to listen to
and didn't talk nonstop through a point. She taught me the finer points of the
game and explained what was going on when it wasn't obvious. Some of the
players tried their hands at commentating and the results were mixed. Tracy
Austin was a chatterbox and drove me nuts. Martina was so hard on the players
and patronizing to the point of making me wince. Chris Evert wasn't too bad at
all but she only did it for a minute - not her cup of tea I gather. John
McEnroe turned out to be a surprisingly good commentator. He was such a hothead
on the court but rational and thoughtful in the box. He has a dry sense of
humour too.
I became familiar with some of the on-court quirks and
mannerisms of the players and you could see their personalities come out during
matches. Monika Seles was the first grunter. At the time everyone was talking
about it. Nowadays they all do it. She sounded like she was yelling out her
French boyfriend's name - Henri! It
was hilarious. Then there was the Sabatweenie. Gabriela more than a few times
won key points by hitting a seemingly hopeless shot between her legs, hence the
name coined by Mary Carillo. Mary Pierce was one cool character. She was so
young and ranked number seven in the world at the time, I believe, in spite of
her raving lunatic of a father who was forever embarrassing her in the stands while
she was playing. Chris Evert was eloquent and charming, the grand dame of them
all. She was pure class on and off the court. Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario always
had a smile on her face and an entourage of fans with her who painted their
faces the colours of the Spanish flag and were uncharacteristically loud for tennis
fans. Great fun! Over the years I felt as if I got to know them all just a
little. Unlike today, in those days it was a tight bunch with not a whole lot
of depth in the playing field. The only newer and younger super players that I
remember were Jennifer Capriati, Martina Hingis and the aforementioned Monika
Seles who also beat Martina. Grrr.
I loved watching the women play but I certainly watched
men's tennis too. I had my favorites and the ones I loved to hate. I always
felt a bit sad for my favorite, Ivan Lendl. He always looked a bit lost - like
he needed a hug. He was a great player except for that monkey on his back - for
a while he would win everything but couldn't get the US Open under his belt. That
changed in 1985 and then he won it for the next two years. The Pete Sampras serve was
so good it annoyed me. He should have been playing in a different league on a
different planet and give someone on earth a shot at a title. I loved watching
André Agassi play. Not only was he so different from the pack, but if the match
went five sets my money was on him, especially in a tiebreaker. Plus he had the
best return of serve in game and could beat Pete once in a while. Michael Chang
was a cool dude who never gave up. I mean, never! I have watched him cramped
beyond belief and throwing up on the court and win the match - or was that Pete
Sampras? I forget. I never really took
to Boris Becker. He just always seemed a little bit above it all and acted as
if he could not care less. He has enough fans though and certainly didn't need
me.
Martina's outstanding tennis records are there for anyone to
see online - 20 Wimbledon titles were the least. She was a phenomenal tennis player and redefined the word athlete in
women's tennis. She captured my attention for a decade or more and I have much
respect for the woman. Just last month she and Chris got together (along with Monica
Seles, Jennifer Capriati and Gabriela Sabatini) for an exhibition match
in Singapore. Rock on women. You gals were, and are, the greatest ever for this
armchair tennis fan.





No comments:
Post a Comment