I am one of those fortunate people who regularly experiences
vivid, adventurous and exciting dreams which I usually remember in detail the
following morning. Much of my unconscious life is spent gallivanting and
cavorting around the planet meeting old friends and doing the oddest things. Usually
the dreams reflect some part of my waking life in one form or another. I sort
through day to day problems and issues in my dreams and "sleeping on
it" really does help. A few years ago a friend and I were working on a
computer game and we faced a particularly difficult logic puzzle that neither
of us could solve. That night I dreamt about the puzzle, came down the next
morning with the solution and solved it in a minute. Love that!
I
have two recurring dreams that happen when I'm particularly anxious about
something in my life. In one of them I'm trapped in the subway in Toronto at
Yonge and Bloor and can't find my way out. I go up and down escalators and all
through The Bay department store frantically looking for an exit but never get
out of the building. In the other dream, I'm back working as a waitress in some
restaurant that I don't know. The place is packed, it's lunch time and I'm in
the weeds. I'm the only server working and I'm totally out of control. I have
customers angry at me and the kitchen is yelling at me. It's a veritable
nightmare. If I don't know I am anxious about something and I have one of those
dreams -I
sure do afterward.
Often my dreams are fun and quirky. Last night, for example,
was quite surreal. It was just before Christmas on a snowy Friday evening at
the end of a work day and I was hitch hiking home with a six-pack of airplane-sized
Jack Daniel's bottles to give as presents to drivers who picked me up. When I
was dropped off on the corner of a street in NYC, I decided to go and rob an
office building to get money for a Christmas turkey (I was broke). In the safe
were all the bonus cheques
for the staff and a bunch of expense account credit cards - obviously Christmas
gifts for the party that night. As I was climbing out of the office window with
my booty, I cut my hand on a piece of broken glass and was leaving big drops of
blood in the white snow. I needed a band-aid badly so I popped into a Christmas
party down the street. I handed the doorperson what was left of my six-pack and
went to mingle with the crowd, forgetting about my cut hand. The first person I
saw was John Lennon standing in the corner with some pretty blond in a black
and white polka dot mini dress. John looked as though he'd just stepped out of
the movie "Yellow Submarine". He looked Fab! It occurred to me for a
second that it would be quite rude to interrupt them but I didn't care - it was
John Lennon for crying out loud! In my haste to get over to him and as I was pulling
my camera out of my backpack, bonus cheques went flying around the room. I mumbled
an apology as I pushed the polka dot dress aside and grabbed John's hand bringing
his fingers to my lips. I noticed he was quite short and told him so. He
replied in his Liverpudlian accent "Yeah, well that happens if you haven't
seen someone since you were seven, doesn't it"? I asked him about Paul
McCartney and he said Paul should be arriving soon. We talked for a bit about
nothing in particular and I took a few pictures of him and then in walked Paul
McCartney dressed in a bright turquoise suit with lime green lining, an orange
shirt and yellow tie - the colours,
incidentally that the Beatles are wearing on the cover of "Sgt. Pepper's
Lonely Hearts Club Band". I ran over to him and gave him a kiss on the
cheek and acted much to my embarrassment like a star struck groupie. He settled
himself into a big white fluffy chair and held court surrounded by sixties
go-go girls. I was the official Eastman-Kodak girl snapping all the shots. Then
I woke up. How funny is that?
I love dreaming about celebrities - the other day I had a
long conversation with Barbra Streisand in the back of a cab on the way to a
party (lots of parties in my dreams, not so much in my awake life). She was delightful but
uncharacteristically frumpy. Years ago I dreamt about dancing with Michael Jackson
on ice skates to Billie Jean. We were awesome!
In life my Mother and I had a complicated, sometimes
difficult relationship. At the time of her death in 2009 we hadn't seen each
other in eight years and had only spoken a handful of times but you wouldn't
know it by my dreams. She is with me maybe three nights a week. Sometimes we are
together in the present and more often than not, it's in the past. I consult
her a lot and she is front and centre in my mind. I often dream about both of
my dead cats CC and Ziggy too. The other night CC was running around the room catching
rainbow coloured angel fish that were the size of a quarter flying at knee
level around the living room. He was having great fun and grinning like a
Cheshire cat. Ziggy often curls up in bed with me as she used to and in half
sleep I can feel her and hear her purring. Many of my friends show up in my
dreams regularly, which is especially comforting as I live so far away from
them all and miss them like crazy.
In Guatemala, land of the Tzutujil Maya no one disregards
his or her dreams. If dreams are overly disturbing or more powerful than usual,
or if they startle you awake, then shamans are called in for a ritual
interpretation. To the shamans, dreams are the backbone of their way of life.
Their dreams are rarely taken literally and must be properly read. So says
shaman Martin Prechtel whose wonderful book "Secrets Of The Talking
Jaguar", I just finished reading. He also tells us, and I believe it, that
although the landscape may be different in our dream world than that of the
awake world, it is actually the balanced opposite, reversed version, where our
souls live out our bodies' lives reenacted as if in a mirror. "Like the
two opposing wings of a butterfly, the dream-world is one wing and the awake
world is another wing. The butterfly must have both wings connected at the Heart
in order to fly and function".
Dreams, according to the Maya, are thought to be a direct,
incorruptible expression of the mysterious nature of life and are considered to
be free of human connivance. Because of this, dreams are trusted more than
people. I don't know about all that, but I do know my dreams are always telling
me something true about myself - sometimes things I have not yet faced in my
awake life. If I pay attention to my dreams they help me in the process of connecting
body, mind and spirit and trying to be being aware and present in my life. I do
love the colourful twists and turns my dreams take sometimes and I wonder what
the shamans would make out of grinning Cheshire cats, flying angel fish and
six-packs of airplane miniatures?
Sweet dreams to all.



No comments:
Post a Comment