From my front door if you turn left, the road takes you into
the village of San Antonio Palópo. It's only about 1km and I do it all the
time. If you go the other way (turn right) you would have to walk about six
kilometers to reach the village of Agua Escondida. Last week I took a walk the
other way. I had no intention of walking to the village but there's plenty of
foot traffic en route and I have been curious as to what was there. It turns
out not much but it is beautiful. The road winds around the mountain and is
both narrow and steep. On the left there are corn fields (milpas) so high up on
the mountainside that you wonder how the farmers can ever tend to their crops
without tumbling off the mountain. As it turns out they tie themselves to trees
to stop exactly that from happening.
When I arrived here the milpas were dark
patches of land that were in stark contrast to the lush vegetation surrounding
them. The corn was only inches high. Now, three months later and after all the
rain we've had, the stalks are so tall that the milpas blend in to the
background of trees. It's close to harvest time. On the lake side of the road
there are a few estate houses mostly hidden behind large brick walls - not much
to look at except a fairly large fenced in coffee plantation. There are
hundreds of rows of shiny leafed coffee bushes sporting bright green berries,
some already turning a deep red indicating ripeness. It occurred to me that we
have a few coffee bushes in the garden that may be ready to pick.
Before I arrived here, I read somewhere on line that
Guatemalans on the whole are very reluctant to tell you they don't know the
answer to a question. I must say there seems to be some truth to that
generalization. I get a lot of misinformation about little things. It throws me
off and is just plain annoying.
There's a ferry dock in the village of San Antonio Palópo
where all the boats leave from to go to the various villages around the lake.
San Lucas apparently has the best open market around. My landlord swears it's
on Wednesdays. Bartolo the caretaker of the house says it's on Sundays.
Richard, who owns a hotel in town says it's on Thursday and Saturday. OK, I'm
confused. I've never been in town when the boats are leaving to ask a boat
captain and the office there is closed whenever I'm around. So what gives? I
know for a fact it's not Thursday because last week not one ferry crossed the
lake on Thursday. My bet is on Sunday. There's always a ton of activity on the
lake on Sundays. So far we've been getting our vegetables in town but next
Sunday morning I'm going down to the dock to hopefully hop on a boat and find
out for myself. I was told it cost either Q5 or Q10 or maybe Q25 (sigh). Yo no
sé!
To be fair I have to rule out the language barrier as a
factor in all the misinformation I'm getting before I can really complain. And
that is what I am finally determined to do. I am learning Spanish. I am
embarrassed that it has taken me this long to knuckle down and start studying.
Last week I went to visit a new friend in the village and he told me it took
him three months to master Spanish. That's a little daunting, but he explained
that he studied in earnest for about five hours each day. I don't propose to go
at it with quite that amount of zeal but I figure an hour or so each day will
go a long way toward helping me understand and be understood. So far I'm
finding it quite enjoyable. My pronunciation is pretty good and now that I'm
delving into verb conjugation it's all starting to make some sense. Eight years
of French doesn't hurt - although sometimes I find myself accidentally using
French words in place of Spanish ones. This morning I walked down the hill to
go and book a taxi to Panajachel for next week. In Spanish I told our driver
that it's important that we be picked up at noon and brought back at five in
the afternoon because I have a dentist appointment and I need to go food
shopping. It's the first time I have spoken complete sentences in Spanish and
he actually understood me. Progress indeed.
On the inside of the bowl is Lake Atitlan in Guatemala (the world's second most beautiful lake) which is surrounded by mountains and three thickly forested volcanoes. Flanked on all sides of the lake are the centuries old Mayan villages which still thrive today. On the south western shore is the village of Santiago Atitlán where the Tzutujil Mayans live. They believe the lake is the Mother and they call her C'Tie. I gave her name a face on the lake bottom. Fluffy clouds drift over the lake between the mountains and late in the morning every day the wind whips up the water and creates whitecaps.
The main colours of the bowl are dark green and blue, indigo and white.
The medicine bowl measures 4" tall x 7 1/4" wide (10cm x 18cm).






No comments:
Post a Comment